Dr Ballard Dog Food Commercial 1991
The brand was originated by Dr. William George Ballard, a veterinary surgeon, and was Canada's first canned pet food. Ballard started producing his pet food in the basement of the family home, eventually opening a small plant in Vancouver in 1931. The brand proved to be so popular that a second plant was opened in Ontario in 1933, distributing to Eastern Canada. When he retired in 1948, Ballard's son Bob took over the business. Dr. Ballard's brand disappeared from store shelves in 2001 when production stopped.