Shop Ottawa Street, Hamilton Ontario Early 2000s
Local commercial for small businesses located on Ottawa Street in Hamilton Ontario in the early 2000s
Ottawa Street is a Lower City arterial road in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. It starts off at Lawrence Road at the base of the Niagara Escarpment (mountain) and is a two-way street throughout, cutting through the Delta and Crown Point neighborhoods and the City's North End industrial neighborhood. It ends at Industrial Drive, the site of the Dofasco steel company. This used to be one of the east ends' mountain access roads - it continued south over the train tracks at Lawrence Road and quickly turned right towards the brick manufacturing plant once known as Hamilton Brick. It took several turns before joining what is now the Kenilworth Access near the old water reservoir entrance. Its routing up the mountain is fairly consistent with the current Kenilworth Access with one exception - another hairpin turn at the top; not the traffic circle that is present now. It was because of these hairpin turns that the Hamilton Street Railway discontinued bus service on this road in 1944, and why the City planned a new Kenilworth Access to the east which opened in 1957.
The Tim Hortons chain was founded in Hamilton in 1964. The original store still operates on Ottawa Street